To borrow a parlance of the times…OMFG!!! When I created BETSY ROSSBOT, I knew I would eventually have to invent and then produce in comics form an origin story for her. What I didn’t really take into account was the research nightmare that would ensue. RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!!!
Ok, I’ll be the first to admit that my “research” didn’t extend beyond Wikipedia and Google Image Search, but man it’s the MOST Wikipediaing and Google Image Searching I have ever done. One Wiki entry would be printed out and read. Keywords and sentences would be underlined. All the things underlined would be wikied and printed out and read and underlined and…well it went on like that for a while. As each new “factoid” was learned, a bunch of historically fictious ideas would bloom. This story that started out simply as ‘BETSY ROSS BECOMES A ROBOT’ became so much bigger. I’ve had several people since tell me it’s the best thing I’ve ever done. I’m not inclined to disagree, but I think it’s not so much the writing, but because I took the time to look up, streamline a design, and then draw British soldier uniforms and tri-cornered hats over and over again. What a serious pain in the ass that was.
Oh…and in case you are wondering: The “SEIGE OF NEW YORK” really happened. George Washington was really “NEARLY“ captured. The rest of these opening few pages is total B.S.